You are invited to learn more about Filipino-American history in the Tri-County area: The following programs/talks will be offered at upcoming FANHS Monterey Bay meetings. Location and times TBA. FANHS will also participate in other community events in the area throughout the year, including the Salinas Asian Festival — keep an eye out for us!:
February 14: Richard Villegas: Filipino War Brides Enriched Our Valley Communities
April 11: Jess Tabasa: Filipino Businesses in Watsonville Share Early Community Memories
June 13: Jean Vengua: Filipino Newspapers Keep Their Communities Connected and Informed, Linking the Past with the Present
August 8: Clem Morales / Al Baguio: Filipino Contractors and Camps
October 10: The Mauricio Family: Filipino American History Month: Come and Join Us for Filipino Food and Talk Story!
December 12: Annual Membership Luncheon
On December 13, FANHS Monterey Bay members met at the Golden China Restaurant in Salinas for our annual Christmas Luncheon, where we also collected food items for the needy. It was a great time to get together, eat, and reflect over the past year. We would like to thank the Mauricio family for their warm hospitality in hosting most of our meetings. Thanks also to the Golden China for wonderful food and service. We are also looking forward to upcoming programs during 2015 (to be announced shortly).
FANHS members at the Golden China restaurant. Jess Tabasa gives the Annual Report for 2013.
Some of the 2014 events our members participated in this year:
* The FANHS National Convention in San Diego
* Monterey Non Profit Convention
* Salinas Downtown Community Board
* AgFocus Santa Cruz County (Agriculture Board)
* Exhibits in the Watsonville Library w/FANHS and Filipino Community of Watsonville
* Asian Festival Board
* FANHS members on the ACE (Asian Cultural Experience, Salinas) Board
* Monterey County Historical Society Board
* Interviews for the ACE Walking Tour Website (Jess and Jean)
* ACE/FANHS Filipino Americans in Salinas Valley Pop-up
* Last but not least, Jess Tabasa, President of the Monterey Bay Chapter of the Filipino American National Historical Society, was inducted into Watsonville High School’s Hall of Fame last Friday–for his work in keeping Filipino American history alive in his home town of Watsonville, and across the nation.
Clearly, FANHS has been active in the Salinas Community!
Jess Tabasa (left) and Richard Villegas (right).